Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who is the Sponenburgh Memorial Trust named for? 

The SMT grants are funded by a generous bequest from Mark Ritter Sponenburgh, an internationally known sculptor, art collector and historian who taught at the University of Oregon, Oregon State University and other colleges around the world. As a young artist he served in World War II, in the cartography section of the Army Corps of Engineers, and became one of the famous "Monuments Men" who preserved and repatriated works of art stolen by the Nazis. You'll find his sculptures all over the world, from the Portland Art Museum and the U.S. Embassy in Cairo to Salishan Coastal Lodge. For more information on Mr. Sponenburgh's remarkable life, head to his full obituary compiled by the Monuments Men Foundation. He was living in Seal Rock when he passed away, in 2012, and chose to support the children of Lincoln County with this arts education fund. 


Q: What is the difference between the grants offered by the Lincoln County Cultural Coalition (LCCC), and those provided by the Sponenburgh Memorial Trust (SMT)? 

These grants are funded from separate sources and have different priorities, although there is some overlap. Coalition awards are more broad, funding arts, culture, heritage and humanities organizations and projects serving Lincoln County residents of all ages. SMT grants, on the other hand, are intended only for arts education for elementary and middle school students. Another difference is that LCCC grants are only available for 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations, while the SMT may fund schools and individuals as well as nonprofits. 

Q: If a project meets the eligibility requirements, can it be considered for both? 

Yes, if sufficient matching funds are in place for both requests. If an overall project budget is $2000, for example, it cannot contain a request from SMT for $1000 and a request from LCCC for $1000 (so that each fund is providing the matching resources for the other). The proposal must have other sources of funding. 

Q. What is the difference between "Income" and "In-Kind"? How should I account for non-monetary contributions to my project, in the application budgets?

A: Only direct financial ("cash") items should be listed in the Expenses and Income grids. The total expenses should equal the total income. Other donated resources (such as donations of lodging, food, time, volunteer labor, discounts on goods and services) should be listed only be listed once, as In-Kind Contributions. 

Q: What should I do if I run out of space?

A: Most of the fields are limited in the number of words or characters they allow. If you've done your best to edit, but you still have information that the committee needs to understand your project, enter it in No. 9, Additional Information. 

Q: Will it hurt my application if I don't attach supplemental materials? 

A: No. Only attach supplemental items if they pertain directly to your project, such as artist renderings, schematics and bids. Applicants are discouraged from sending items that support an organization's fitness through past success (press clippings, etc) or financial record (tax filings, annual reports).